Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wally Wood and did....

I was trawling throughout the Heritage Comics Auctions the other day and came across some beautiful Wally Wood artwork. As a kid I was given a whole bunch of Mad Magazines from the late '60s and early '70s and would spend hours reading and re-reading Wood, Elder and Davis's "Hah-Noon", "Ping Pong", "Batboy and Rubin". Funny Scary and downright confusing to a child, I loved every detailed line. Wood was a master of the craft and could turn his hand to all sorts of genres and projects. You can read more about him here, here and here. I miss this sort of work these days, the closest I get is the dark, disturbing, wonderful work of Evan Dorkin and I'm hanging on for the next edition of "Dork" (such a great name for a comic) until then...I'm reading and re-reading the originals.

No comments: